Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Will I survive this?

My friend, Joy and I were talking the other day about our mutual shopping sickness disease, and I know it is a disease, Oprah told me so. Too often I spend more time aquiring things to create with than I do in actually using them. That is just plain silly. I cleaned out my acrylic paint drawer and to my horror, saw that I had 9 bottles of half used red paint. Red is my favorite color, but that is ridiculous. The dictionary defines gluttonous as "having an insatiable appetite for an activity or pursuit". That pretty much sums it up. Joy said that having such excesses is causing her to be over stimulated and less productive. Ditto! We both agreed to use what we have for at least 30 days. That means no shopping whatsoever. No trips to Mystic Paper , sorry Kim and Jennifer, we'll be back soon. NO sneaking in an Internet purchase. That means nothing, nada, zero, zilch! We are into day 3 or so of the 30 day challenge. So far, I've only hyperventilated once or twice. Can we do this? Of course, but it isn't going to be as easy as it sounds. We love enabling each other, and we are both experts at justifying anything we think we NEED.
I personally am hoping to carry it a little further. I'm not limiting this to craft supplies. I'm not buying clothes, shoes , or anything else that isn't absolutely crucial. My kitchen pantry is also out of control. Mother Hubbard's cupboard needs to be bare! Wish us luck.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

LOL! Great post. Not only will I wish you luck, but I may join you as well. I've got "goodies" tucked ALL over the studio. Can't even find anything. But then find something and say to myself, "oh, lookit that...forgot I bought that"...gah...it's bad. So, great post and gret incentive.

Thanks for the laugh.

c

Joy said...

Oh rats! Did you see Mystic Paper's latest blog entry????? What were we thinking??????? Oh rats! Did you see those stamps?????
Oh rats! Did you see all that other cool stuff???? Oh rats! And we are on only day THREE????? Oh rats! My BFF MasterCard and I may have to leave the country. . . .

Cristine's Story said...

Oh RATS is all I have to say too! Not even a visit if we tell you the cash register is broken?

Anonymous said...

I hope are shopping frenzy when I was there stimulate anything. All I gotta say .... good luck making it to 30 days....I could never do it! Hey I thinkin of you as I wear my "little black skirt" today. Love it to death!!
Very cute blog, what a laugh!

Take Care,
Sharma

Becky Bunn said...

Good luck girl. I have been trying to curb my spending. Taking a class tomorrow at Mystic Paper. We will see how well I do lol

Stitcher S said...

I wish you luck!

I seem to have the opposite disease in that I truly dislike shopping. I should ask you to do my shopping for me!