Sunday, June 15, 2008

On this day

This is my Father, a man I never knew. He died from a heart attack eleven days before I turned one. All these years have been spent gathering photos and stories from others who knew him. I've learned that he was a patriotic man who loved his family and his country. He would have made a career of the Army had he been given the chance. I know that I am my Father's daughter. I have some of his features, especially his nose. I see the resemblance passed down to my youngest son who also looks like him. One of the things that has intrigued me the most is that we have similar handwriting and verbiage. I was given a letter that he had written to my aunt while he was at boot camp. As I sat there reading it, I was taken back by the familiarity on that yellowed piece of paper. It is on this day that I honor his memory.

Happy Father's day to my big brother. You were forced to step into Dad's shoes at such a young age. You have always been there for me. I couldn't have chosen a better mentor. I thank you now.

To my sons, who are wonderful hands on daddy's. I couldn't be more proud of you. Enjoy your day.

6 comments:

Joy said...

Lovely tribute, Tanya.

Anonymous said...

Tanya....you continue to make me proud of you.....enough said, I have to go get a kleenex.

Anonymous said...

Your Brother said...

Tanya...thank you for your kind words...you would have done the same thing for me if our role's were reversed...what a wonderful tribute to our Father on this day.

Becky Bunn said...

Tanya, how lovely. So glad I have had the chance to meet you

Cristine's Story said...

Tanya, love reading your words. So special that you can see your words in your father's writing! What a great story!

Stitcher S said...

What a beautiful tribute. I am moved to tears!

Thanks for sharing it here with those of us who know you through your blog.

Take care.