Saturday, September 6, 2008

It's in our blood

Here is a photo (I apologize for the quality) of me in the green t-shirt taken more than twenty five years ago. I was in full stride, trying to score a goal. We were just a group of moms who got together initially for some exercise while our kids were having soccer practice. Soon we were hooked on the sport and our team joined a local women's league. I continued to play for more than nine years.

Here is oldest son Chris in his soccer debut. He loved playing from the very beginning. He would go on and play well into high school. Like many sports, it consumed our lives for many years. Homework and dinners were planned around practices and games. How I loved those days and being a soccer mom.

For a very long time, I have looked forward to this day. Here is granddaughter Olivia in her soccer uniform. She is the third generation in our family to play. Today was her first game. It was hotter than blazes outside, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. All the three and four year olds looked so darn cute in their big, baggy Umbro shorts. There was a lot of clinging to the parents and tears shed over missed shots. I'm fairly certain the parents and grandparents enjoyed it more than the little ones. If she takes after her Daddy and her Grammie, it won't be long before it's in her blood as well.

5 comments:

Cristine's Story said...

What a cutie pie she is! And who knew, you were a soccer star. It's so much fun to learn these little bits of info on everyone!

Anonymous said...

How cute is she? And you're are one hot soccer mom! Great story, I can't wait for the Tuck man to get going in sports.

Becky Bunn said...

Tanya she is darling. My son played club soccer,my daughter club volleyball so I remember all to well everything revolving around sports.But I would not change it one bit.

Sue said...

Ah, how sweet.

Loved seeing the photos of you, your son, and little Olivia.

I do agree that things seem to 'run in the blood'.

Pam Mattick Art and Stuff said...

Awwwww :) Such sweet pictures. From one grandma to another.
Hugs,
Pam