Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Sewing Circle...

is a wonderful oil on canvas by artist, Daniel Ridgway Knight (American, 1839-1924). I was given a framed print of this painting several years ago, and it has been stored behind a dresser in our bedroom for the last ten. The other day I pulled it out, dusted it off, and it now hangs in my craft room. It fits perfectly above my sewing chair. I used to imagine myself in the circle, gossiping with the others, plying my needle and thread. In my fantasy, we were in England, but I learned that the artist lived in France for most of his adult life, and was fond of painting French peasants.

1 comment:

Stitcher S said...

That's a great painting. I bet it is great in your craft room!

I love how you mentioned it was behind your dresser for 10 years. I can SO relate to that one as I use all kinds of places to store items.