Sunday, July 12, 2009

Look who stopped by...



Yesterday afternoon, I was looking toward our big tree in the backyard, and saw a brown spot. At first, I thought it might be a swarm of bees. When I got close enough, I was stunned to see this owl perched on a branch. I have no idea how common they are to AZ., but I have never seen one before. We have heard one screeching in the middle of the night, but that was several months ago. This particular one wasn't camera shy and allowed me to take several pictures.
The eyes are what really got to me, kind of creepy and intense. I have to say that I am a little worried about Ruby and Scarlett. We've heard stories about small dogs being attacked by owls. We'll just have to be alert.

11 comments:

Sue said...

Wow, those are awesome photos. I see what you mean about the intense expression on that bird.

I too have heard about them carrying off small dogs and cats, so it's wise to be careful.

Take care.

Rowyn said...

What a beautiful owl! You got some stunning photos of it too.

We have little native owls in NZ called Moreporks. We hear them quite often but I have never been lucky enough to see a wild one flying about.

Katrina said...

Cool bird but I would be worried about the puppies too! Here it's coyotes you have to worry about.

Julie said...

YIKES!!!! As scary as he is, he sure is gorgeous.

Laurie in Iowa said...

He's a gorgeous owl... but keep an eye on your sweet pups. We have to watch out for eagles and small pets in my little corner of Iowa.

Jan said...

OH what a gorgeous creature and lovely pics of it! I would beware though too, they are very strong birds. Need to protect those babies well.

Live.Love. Photography said...

I saw on another local blog of a baby one. It was sooo cute. All fluffy and white. So when I saw this one I was freaked out! Those eyes are scary! Chris thinks they look wise. I think they look spooky!

Cristine's Story said...

I have to say, while he is a little scary looking, he is so much nicer looking than the turkey vultures that visited our backyard!

Alice said...

Ooooh, just wonderful to have an owl drop in. I adore owls!!!
What a beauty.
Alice

Kathy said...

Quite the surprise in your tree. Yes, I would be very cautious with the Bostons. We live sort of in the country and my vet has cautioned me about leaving my Boston outside unattended because of hawks and owls and the like. Those dogs are too special to let that happen to them.

Sandy said...

My Ruby is shaking in her boots as she looks at that picture! Lately she hasn't wanted to go outside at night? hmmm. Smarter than she looks.