Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Traditions...

tra·di·tion (trə-dĭsh'ən)
The passing down of elements of a culture from generation to generation, especially by oral communication.
A mode of thought or behavior followed by a people continuously from generation to generation; a custom or usage.
A set of such customs and usages viewed as a coherent body of precedents influencing the present: followed family tradition in dress and manners.
A body of unwritten religious precepts.
A time-honored practice or set of such practices.
Law Transfer of property to another.


In our family, one of our favorite traditions has always centered around the Christmas tree. I worked in a drug store over thirty years ago that also sold Hallmark items. Naturally, I was bitten by the ornament bug and have collected many. Each year I would add one or two or several. When my sons were small, they were given an ornament each year, starting with a baby's first Christmas. Whether it be Disney themed or sports related, I tried to choose one that matched their interests at the time. When they became married adults, I felt it was time to let them each have their ornaments to enjoy on their own trees. Actually, I am relying on my dear daughters-in-law to keep them safe. It pleases me to see them displayed in their homes, remembering that I lovingly chose them, and knowing that each year they bring back special memories. I am still giving them ornaments and now include their wives and children.
Each year when I decorate my own tree, the memories come rushing back. It's like visiting with old friends that you haven't seen for a while. Not all of my favorites are Hallmark. Some of the ones that I treasure the most are homemade, given to me by family and friends. Here are a few :

Son, Brian made the paper plate Rudolph in kindergarten. His antlers are broken and his eyes have long fallen off...I had a Barbie case exactly like this when I was little, I loved everything about Barbie...My Brother made the Canadian goose...My sister gave me a collection of blown glass ornaments, which included the VW. It reminds me of the bug I drove in college.
Some remind you of special places or trips. While in London, we took a cab to Harrods with the main intention of buying a souvenir ornament. We braved the hustle and bustle of an extremely crowded store, only to find out that we were too early or way too late to find any. Fortunately, one of my travel companions, Patti, made another trip across the pond that same year, and was able to get one for each of us.

My niece cross stitched the "Merrie Yule"...I love the patriotic Santa, bunny ballerina, soccer beaver and reindeer crammed in the phone booth.

My sister gave me this one. Our country was still reeling from the attacks of 9/11. The message was particularly important that year and still is today.

No comments: