Monday, December 17, 2007

Dan Fogelberg 1951-2007

http://www.danfogelberg.com/
I was shocked and saddened to learn of the death of one of my all time favorite singer/songwriters. It is always such a loss to lose someone as gifted and talented as he was at such an early age. His music touched me and many others over the years. I discovered his music in 1974, and I have listened to him probably more than any other artist. I saw him many times in concert. Dan was an Illinois boy, and one concert that really stands out is one that he gave in Peoria in 1975. It was quite special to see him perform in his hometown. The stage crew all had t-shirts that said "Welcome home, Danny" on the front and 8/9/75 on the back. I wanted one of those shirts in the worst way. I begged my friend to ask one of the crew if he would sell the shirt off his back. He agreed, and I paid twenty dollars for it. It was a lot of money back then, considering it was probably twice the price of the concert ticket. I treasured that souvenir, and wore it till it was literally thread bare.
He will be missed...but, his gift to us, his music, will live on and on.

1 comment:

Stitcher S said...

I really liked his music, too. His voice was very calming and comforting.