Sunday, September 16, 2007

Abandoned Barns...




make me sad and curious at the same time. I wonder what they looked like in their better days. I also wonder what animals might have taken shelter in them. Was there a barn cat that chased away the field mice? For me, barns represent the Midwest. Having lived on a small farm in my youth, I can remember swinging from a rope that hung from the rafters, and climbing on the bales of hay. To this day, the smell of hay makes me nostalgic. My DH has told me that I would make a good farm wife, but I'm not so sure. While there would be certain aspects of living on a farm that would appeal to me, some of the harsh realities certainly would not. I could never raise livestock, and then send them off to market. I can't even look at a livestock truck. Once on a trip back to Iowa, DH noticed that I turned my head every time we passed one. When questioned why I did that, I confessed that I can't make eye contact with animals that are off to the meat packing plant. It makes me too sad. Having admitted that, I have a great deal of respect for farmers and their families, they are truly the salt of the earth. I am proud of my country roots, and of the fact that I am a descendant of such hard working folks.

No comments: