Monday, August 18, 2008

Otis...his life and travels

I made the painful decision to put Otis down over the weekend. It was without a doubt one of the most difficult things that I've ever been faced with. It came to the point that his quality of life had diminished greatly in the past few weeks. He had a wonderful, caring vet and we tried many treatments to ease his stiff arthritic old body. He was a little more than 11 1/2 . That's 93 years old according to the chart in my vet's office. It's a long life for a boxer, especially for a big one. As you can imagine, my heart is heavy and full of sadness that he is gone. I've always believed that dogs have a way of finding us instead of the other way around. This was true for Otis. When he was around eight months, we adopted him from a family that was unable to give him a good home. I am positive that his life would have been much different and not in a good way. He was my seventh boxer. I got my first one when I was three years old. I have had at least one, or two, or three at a time ever since. My entire life really. Even though I love the girls, our two Bostons dearly, boxers will always hold a special place in my heart. Thanks to everyone who has been there for me through this. You know who you are, and your caring has meant the world. Here are a few of my favorite memories of the many trips we took with Otis and his girl, Lucy.

Yosemite National Park~their 1st time in snow

~off the coast of Washington~

~Yosemite National Park~

~near Bodega Bay, CA. He loved the beach, and would run and chase the waves.~

9 comments:

Cristine's Story said...

Oh Tanya, I wish I could give you a hug in person right now. Otis had a very special life with you and I know he appreciated every minute of it. Hugs

Pam Mattick Art and Stuff said...

I'm so sorry about Otis. What a wonderful life he had with you as his buddy. I'm a dog lover too and it's never easy. (Our daughter has a Boxer named Emma).
Sending you a hug through cyber space,
((((((((((HUG)))))))))
Pam

Joy said...

Such wonderful memories. Love and hugs to you, Tanya, at this sad time.

Becky Bunn said...

Oh Tanya I'm so sorry for your loss. Our pets have a way of leaving paw prints on our hearts. Hug to you
Becky

C K said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Otis! Pets give so much, they teach us about unconditional love. I'm going to go snuggle with my pet in appreciation of all he gives to me every day in honor of Otis.

Stitcher S said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is so painful to lose a pet! We had to put down our almost 17 year old dog several years ago and it took me years after that to get another dog at all. My thoughts are with you.

I love Boxers, too. Never had one, but they're great dogs.

Jack and Cat Curio said...

Tanya-thinking of you and Otis. Sorry for your loss. Hugs and more hugs!

danasmith said...

I am so sorry for your loss of Otis! I grew up with a boxer and they are so special. My daughter has one and she is so protective of our little granddaughter! We have had labs since we married, almost 26 years ago, but when our Jessie passes we will seriously consider a Boxer!!!
Dana in Virginia
www.TheThingsILove.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

I am Nathalie the french friend of JOY. I am so sad to read this terrible news for Otis. I send you many kisses. I am sure you have taken the good decision for your dog even if it is the worst we have to take. My dog Woof is very old now and I pray each day that I have not to take this decision too.
All my thoughts are with you in this sad moment.
Nathalie