Monday, August 26, 2013

A true road trip with Ruby...and Scarlett & Henry



This was our home sweet home for two weeks.  We drove the MH as I like to call her back to Iowa and Minnesota.  I say "we", but I don't drive...way too big for me for me to even imagine parking.  I'm the part-time navigator, sandwich maker, and snack go-getter.  I'm also companion
        to the dogs and official driver, husband Paul.  It's a great way to travel.  It has all the comforts of  home for the most part.  We did the camping in the Wal-Mart parking lot thing four different nights.  I think it's great that they allow RV's to park there.  You can go in, buy a few things, and head out to the parking lot and go to sleep.
 
Here we are heading across Colorado.  What a beautiful state.  The mountains make me queasy sometimes, but the view is hard to beat.
 
I think I slept through Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri.  I definitely perked up when we crossed into southern Iowa and saw this Maid-Rite.  Those loose meat sandwiches are one of the things I miss most.  There's items made by the Amish for sale inside, so I shopped and walked off some of the calories.
 
 
Even though I'm a Midwest girl, I had never been to a state fair.  It was full of all the expected things, and everything you can imagine deep fried and served on a stick.  I wanted to try the deep fried butter, but fortunately for my thighs I never saw it offered.
 
 
I did find the sheep though.  I LOVED them!
 
 
And here is the famous butter cow.  Paula Deen would have loved it!  We were there the day that some animal rights activists broke in and spray painted it red after the fair closed.  I don't remember their exact cause, but it's made of butter, people!
 
 
I enjoyed the textile displays, of course.  Not being a quilter, I can certainly appreciate the fine work.
 

 
After Iowa, we drove up to the Rochester, MN area to go to an antique show.  I didn't do too much damage to the bank account. 
 
 
Back in AZ, almost anyway.  This is the Four Corners Monument where the states of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona connect.  Even though we had awesome weather, enjoyed the visits with family, ate too much, and saw some different sights, there really is no place like home.
 
 
  •  

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Looks like such a fun trip!!!!! Love all the pics and of course I think Colorado is the most beautiful state ;-). Wish you could have stopped by!!!!